Time and gravity take their toll on the density and elasticity of breasts. If you have lost weight or breastfed your children, the shape of the breasts is even more likely to sag. A breast lift (mastopexy) by Dr. Benjamin Lam could be the answer.
What is a Breast Lift?
A Breast lift is a procedure that involves the surgical removal of excess skin and tissue to tighten and raise the breasts. The nipple can also be repositioned, resulting in firmer breasts with a perkier, more youthful shape. If you would prefer more fullness, mastopexy combined with breast augmentation.
With so many different techniques and procedures to choose from, it is essential to consult an experienced surgeon. Plastic surgeon Dr. Benjamin Lam listens carefully to your needs as you plan your procedure.
Breast Lift Procedure
The methods used by Dr. Lam for breast lifts vary depending on the individual’s degree of sagging. The more sagging that has occurred, the wider the base of the breasts has become. This flattens the breasts, which is the main complaint for women seeking a breast lift. Dr. Lam uses three different incision options for these procedures.
- Areola incision – Also called a small-incision mastopexy, a donut-shaped incision is made around the areola. This method creates minimal visible scarring, but is only appropriate for women with minimal sagging who don’t need much excess skin removed.
- Lollipop incision – This incision circles the areola and then drops straight down, ending at the breast crease. This method allows moderate removal of excess skin and fat.
- Anchor incision – This method circles the areola, drops down to the breast crease, and then extends outward in both directions, similar to the shape of an anchor. The anchor incision allows for the most skin removal and tissue adjustment, but it also creates the largest scar.
In each method, Dr. Lam lifts and reshapes the breast tissue to compensate for sagging and stretching. The nipples and areolae are moved to a higher position to match the new profile of the breasts; extra skin can be removed around the areolae to make them smaller. The final step is to trim away excess sagging skin.
Can a Breast Lift be Combined with Breast Augmentation?
Breast lifts seek to return the breasts to a higher position on the chest; they do not return lost volume. For that reason, many women opt to augment their breasts with implants during their lift procedure. Implants will add volume, particularly higher on the breasts. This is a great time for Dr. Lam to add implants, as he can place the implants using the same incisions already made for your breast lift.
Candidates for a Breast Lift
A breast lift can be a good procedure if you have some or all of these existing issues with your breasts:
- Your breasts have lost their shape or volume
- Your breasts sag
- The skin on your breasts is stretched
- Your breasts are flat, elongated, or pendulous
- Your nipples point downward
- Your breasts are asymmetrical
A breast lift doesn’t affect the size of the breasts; it simply brings them back up to a higher position. A lift doesn’t change the fullness or roundness in the upper portion of the breasts. If you want to add fullness or size, adding implants to the breast lift procedure will accomplish that.